Aberdeen


Photographs

 

Scottish Music

 

Stonehaven

 

Aberdeen Videos


Home

Marischal College

Marischal College was founded in 1593 by George Keith, Fourth Earl Marischal of Scotland. It is claimed to be the second largest granite building in the world, exceeded only by Spain's Escorial, once the home of the Spanish monarchy. The frontage is over 400 feet long, with an average height of 80 feet.

At present, the college building is used chiefly for its grand Mitchell Hall and the Marischal Museum, open free to the public and re-established in 1907 and a number of University offices. Current plans will see the rest of the building let to Aberdeen City Counci. The City Council plans to demolish a 1960s tower block opposite the college and to make Marischal its headquarters. The University will retain the use of the rear block of the Quadrangle, including Mitchell Hall for graduations and the museum.